Economic Development District and Comprehensive Economic Development Strategy (CEDS)
The Economic Development Planning Assistance program provides support to our five-county region, that is federally recognized by the U.S. Department of Commerce. EDA supports the Regional Council with an annual Partnership Planning investment, which is used to facilitate the development, implementation, and revisions of a Comprehensive Economic Development Strategy (CEDS).
CEDS Goals and Objectives
Grow and diversify the region’s economic base and workforce participation.
- Develop a culture for entrepreneurial innovation and growth.
- Take steps to retain and attract an educated workforce.
- Strive to become a value-added agriculture innovator for the Midwest.
Align education, workforce development, and economic development to generate qualified workers.
- Facilitate multilevel connections between local K-12 institutions and area businesses.
- Coordinate with higher educational institutions to expand and train the workforce.
Enhance health care options to allow residents to retain productive lives regardless of their life cycle needs.
- Expand healthcare access.
- Establish more access to substance abuse treatment and prevention options.
- Ensure that local healthcare facilities have an adequate supply of workforce professionals to meet the needs of residents.
Leisure Activity Goals:
Increase regional tourism by 10% in the next five years.
- Expand economic tourism via coordination and promotion of events throughout the region.
- Expand recreational tourism through the development of community facilities and multimodal transportation options.
- Utilize social and digital media to create brand identity and name recognition for the region.
Maintain and improve infrastructure to provide sustainable communities and quality of life.
- Plan for and develop diverse and affordable housing options for all income levels and lifecycle needs.
- Ensure that all communities have access to information and resources to maintain and improve existing water, stormwater and wastewater infrastructure.
- Enable broadband internet service for 100% of the five-county region.
- Ensure that all communities have access to information and resources to explore alternative energy options and promote energy efficiency.
- Provide access to information and resources to maintain and improve roadway safety and existing transportation systems.
Comprehensive Economic Development Strategy Report
A PDF copy of the 2018-2023 CEDS is available by clicking here.
For questions or to be part of regional planning in northwest Missouri contact Kim Mildward at email@example.com.